Mold in houses can be of various types, including common molds such as Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria. While all molds can potentially cause health issues, not all are toxic. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), certain molds, known as toxigenic molds, can produce toxins called mycotoxins, harming humans. The most hazardous molds include Stachybotrys chartarum, commonly known as black mold and some species of Aspergillus.
When inhaled or touched, these molds can release mycotoxins into the air, which can cause various health problems, including respiratory issues, allergies, asthma exacerbation, and even severe reactions in susceptible individuals. Infants, young children, the elderly, individuals with weakened immune systems, and those with respiratory conditions are particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of untreated or growing mold in a house. Health issues aside, mold and water damage can also lead to structural deterioration, discolored surfaces, and unpleasant odors.